DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 9 JUNE 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. WORLD OCEANS DAY OBSERVED ON 8TH JUNE
i. The World Oceans Day is being observed globally on 8th June every year.
ii. The day is observed to raise global awareness of the current challenges faced by the international community in connection with the oceans..
iii. The theme of the day is “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”.
2. PIYUSH GOYAL LAUNCHES ‘SURYA MITRA’ MOBILE APP
i. Piyush Goyal Minister for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy has launched ‘Surya Mitra’ mobile app.
ii. The GPS-based mobile app is developed by National Institute of Solar Energy which is an autonomous institution of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy
iii. This app is a high-end technology platform which can handle thousands of calls simultaneously and can efficiently monitor all visits of Suryamitra’s.
iv. The App will be very useful in the field of Renewable energy to serve customers at their doorsteps with quality installation, repair, and Observations and Measurements services.
3. AYUSH MINISTER HAS INAUGURATED NATIONAL HEALTH EDITORS’ MEET ON YOGA
i. Shripad Yesso Naik Minister of State for AYUSH, has inaugurated a National Health Editors' Conference in New Delhi.
ii. The theme of the conference is Yoga for Holistic Health - Recent Researches.
iii. The conference aims at ensuring wider dissemination of benefits of Yoga to the public through the media.
iv. The ministry has decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme with a view to promote yoga from 2017.
4. US RETURNS 200 ARTIFACTS WORTH USD 100 MN TO INDIA
i. The US has returned over 200 stolen cultural artifacts to India, some dating back 2,000 years.
ii. The estimated cost of these artifacts is around US$ 100 million.
iii. Items returned included religious statues, bronzes, and terra-cotta pieces looted from India's most religious sites.
5. INDIA AND US TO SET UP 2 CLEAN ENERGY FINANCIAL SUPPORT PROGRAMMES FOR $60 MN
i. India and the US have announced the setting up of two financial assistance programmes worth $60 million.
ii. The fund will be used for supporting India’s much-needed clean energy initiatives including in solar power and other renewables.
iii. India is expected to provide clean and renewable electricity to up to 1 million households by 2020.
6. SBI AND ICICI BANK HEADS AMONG FOUR INDIANS IN FORBES ‘POWERFUL WOMEN’ LIST
i. Four Indian women’s including SBI chairmanr Arundhati Bhattacharya and ICICI Bank MD Chanda Kochhar are in the new list of Forbes’ world’s 100 most powerful women .
ii. The Forbes ‘100 Most Powerful Women’ list for 2016 is topped by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
iii. Arundhati Bhattacharya, ranked 25th on the list and chanda Kochhar placed at 40th spot.
iv. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is ranked 77th on the list and Indra Nooyi is ranked 14th on the list.
7. DR. SHAHID RASOOL TAKES CHARGE AT CEMCA
i. Dr. Shahid Rasool has taken charge as the new director of the Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia.
ii. He will help to ensure effective utilisation of educational media resources for distance education.
8. EDEN GARDENS TO HOST INDIA'S 1ST PINK BALL MATCH
i. Kolkata's Eden Gardens stadium is going to host India's first pink ball cricket match in the Bengal Super League.
ii. The three day match, which will be played under lights with pink Kookaburra balls.
9. INDIA TO HOST JUNIOR MEN'S HOCKEY WORLD CUP
i. The city of Nabab's Lucknow is going to host the junior men's hockey World Cup.
ii. The cup will start from 8 of December and will end on 18th of December.
iii. The women's Hockey Junior World Cup will be hosted in Santiago, Chile.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHEN “WORLD OCEAN DAY” IS OBSERVED?
a. 9th June
b. 5th June
c. 8th June
d. 10th June
2. “SURYA MITRA” APP LAUNCHED BY WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING OFFICIALS?
a. Narendra Modi
b. Piyush Goyal
c. Suresh Prabhu
d. Pranab Mukherjee
3. “NATIONAL HEALTH EDITOR’S MEET ON YOGA DAY” WILL BE INAUGURATED BY WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING MINISTRIES?
a. Ministers of Health
b. Ministers of Ayush
c. Ministers of Care
d. None of these
4. WHO TOPS THE LIST OF FORBE’S “ 100 MOST POWERFUL WOMEN” 2016?
a. Angela Merkel
b. Chandana Kochar
c. Arundhati Bhattacharya
d. Kiran Mazumdar
5. WHO IS THE CEO OF PEPSICO?
a. Indira Kumari
b. Indira Nayer
c. Indira Singh
d. Indira Nooyi
6. WHERE IS THE HEADQUARTER OF CEMCA IS LOCATED?
c. New Delhi
7. RECENTLY , WHO TAKES CHARGE AS THE DIRECTOR OF CEMCA?
a. Dr. Shaid Rasool
b. Dr. Ahemed Rassol
c. Dr. Frahan Khan
d. None of the above
8. WHICH COUNTRY WILL HOST THE JUNIOR MEN’S HOCKEY WORLD CUP?
1. C 2. B 3. B 4. A 5. D 6. C 7. A 8. B