DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 18 JUNE 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. 17 JUNE IS OBSERVED AS WORLD DAY TO COMBAT DESERTIFICATION
i. The World Day to Combat Desertification is being observed on 17th June across the world.
ii. The day is observed to promote public awareness related to international cooperation to combat desertification and the effects of drought.
iii. The theme of the day is “Inclusive cooperation for achieving Land Degradation Neutrality”.
2. SUNIL MITTAL ELECTED AS CHAIRMAN OF INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
i. The chief executive of Bharti Group, Sunil Bharti Mittal has been elected chairman of the International Chambers of Commerce.
ii. He replaced Terry McGraw.
iii. International Chambers of Commerce is the world’s largest business organisation that was founded in 1919.
Headquarters: Paris, France.
3. SENIOR IAS OFFICER SUPRIYA SAHU APPOINTED AS DIRECTOR GENERAL OF DOORDARSHAN
i. Senior IAS officer Supriya Sahu was appointed as Director General of Doordarshan.
ii. She would replace Aparna Vaish who was acting head of Doordharsan.
4. HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS ANNE HATHAWAY APPOINTED AS UN WOMEN GOODWILL AMBASSADOR
i. Hollywood actress Anne Hathaway was named as the Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women.
ii. She will focus her efforts on injustices mothers around the world and also challenging issues like unpaid leave, wage gaps and a lack of access to affordable childcare.
iii. Anne Hathaway Anne Hathaway is Hollywood actress and singer from United States.
iv. The UN Women agency work for promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women.
5. UNION CABINET APPROVES MOU BETWEEN ISRO AND CANADIAN SPACE AGENCY
i. The Union Cabinet has given approval for the Memorandum of Understanding between Indian Space Research Organization and Canadian Space Agency on cooperation in the field of outer space.
ii. It will help in the establishment of joint team, drawing members from CSA and ISRO.
iii. It will provide opportunities for diverse research and development in the field of peaceful uses of space technologies
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHICH DAY HAS THEME AS AN ‘INCLUSIVE COOPERATION FOR ACHIEVING LAND DEGRADATION NEUTRALITY’?
a. World Disaster Day
b. World Day to Combat Desertification
c. World Management day
d. None of these
2. RECENTLY, SUNIL MITTAL ELECTED AS CHAIRMAN OF INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. WHOM HE HAS REPLACED?
a. Terry Mcgraw
c. Rayan Booth
d. Shaleb Booth
3. WHERE IS HEADQUARTER OF INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE?
a. New York, USA
b. Washington, USA
c. Rome, Italy
d. Paris, France
4. RECENTLY, WHO IS APPOINTED AS DIRECTOR GENERAL OF DOORDARSHAN?
a. Arpana Vaish
b. Supriya Sahu
c. Manpreet Saini
d. Animesh Saini
5. HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS “ANNE HATHWAY” IS RECENTLY APPOINTED AS AN AMBASSADOR TO WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS?
a. UN Women goodwill
b. UN Women sport goodwill
c. UN peace
d. UN security
6. WHO IS THE PRESIDENT OF CANADIAN SPACE AGENCY?
a. Robert Lynn
b. Sylvain Lo Parte
c. Boondar Lynn
d. None of these
1. B 2. A 3. D 4. B 5. A 6. B