DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 5 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. SIX-YEAR-OLD INDIAN BOY ENTERS GUINNESS WORLD RECORD
i. A six year old boy Om Swaroop Gowda from Karnataka has set the world record for covering longest distance by limbo skating under cars.
ii. He clinched the Guinness World records title after a successful attempt to travel a staggering 65.283-metre distance while holding his body just above the ground and maintaining a splits position throughout.
iii. He managed to clear 36 cars during the incredible challenge at Orion Mall in Bangalore.
2. RBI LAUNCHES NEW WEBSITE ’SACHET’ TO CONTROL ILLEGAL COLLECTION OF DEPOSITS
i. The RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has launched ’Sachet- www.sachet.rbi.org.in’, a web portal to curb illegal collection of deposits.
ii. Sachet is an State Level Coordination Committees website from which the members of the public would be able to obtain information regarding entities that are allowed to accept deposits, lodge complaints and also share information regarding illegal acceptance of deposits by unscrupulous entities.
iii. The website would also help to enhance coordination among regulators and State Government agencies to control unauthorised acceptance of deposits by unscrupulous entities.
3. RBI CONSTITUTES A COMMITTEE ON HOUSEHOLD FINANCE
i. The Reserve Bank of India has set up a committee to look at the various facets of household finance in India and to benchmark India’s position vis-à-vis both the peer countries and advanced countries.
ii. The Committee will be chaired by Dr. Tarun Ramadorai, Professor of Financial Economics, University of Oxford.
iii. The Committee is expected to submit its report by end-July 2017.
4. ‘GRASSROOTS INNOVATION’ AUTHORED BY PROF. ANIL K. GUPTA BOOK RELEASED
i. ‘Grassroots Innovation’ authored by Prof. Anil K. Gupta has been released.
ii. He has gifted his first copy of the book to the President.
iii. The book was about stories of extraordinary men and women who are silently contributing to the innovation movement for the economic development and advancement of society.
5. 4TH INDIAN-ORIGIN PERSONS AMONG US' TOP WEALTH ADVISORS LIST RELEASED BY FORBES
i. Four Indian-origin persons have been named among America's top wealth advisors by Forbes on a list of 200 members.
ii. Raj Sharma and Ash Chopra, both working in Merrill Lynch - Private Banking & Investment Group, have been ranked 17th and 129 respectively on the Forbes 2016 'America's Top Wealth Advisors' list.
iii. While Sonny Kothari of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management has been ranked 176, Raju Pathak of Morgan Stanley Wealth Management is placed at 184.
6. SHUBHA MUDGAL TO BE AWARDED RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL SADBHAVANA AWARD
i. The advisory committee of the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award has decided that the 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award will be given to Shubha Mudgal.
ii. Mudgal will be honoured for her outstanding contribution towards the promotion of communal harmony, peace and goodwill.
7. IOC GIVES NOD TO ADDITION OF FIVE NEW SPORTS IN OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020
i. The International Olympic Committee has agreed to add Baseball-Softball, Skateboard, Karate, Climbing Sports and surfing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
ii. The decision was taken by the 129th IOC session being held in Rio de Janeiro.
iii. The additional sports in Tokyo will not impact the athlete or event quotas of existing Olympic sports.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE WEBSITE WHICH IS LAUNCHED BY RBI TO CURB ILLEGAL COLLECTION OF DEPOSITS?
d. None of the above
2. RBI HAS SET UP A COMMITTEE FOR “HOUSEHOLD FINANCE” WHO IS CHAIRED BY__________.
a. Dr. Varun Ramadarai
b. Dr. Dinesh Ramadarai
c. Dr. Tarun Ramadarai
d. Dr. Shan Ramadarai
3. WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF “GRASSROOT INNOVATION”?
a. Dinesh Jain
b. Sashi Mohan
c. Tom Jhonson
d. Anil K Gupta
4. THE HEADQUARTERS OF INTERNATIONAL OLYMPICS COMMITTEE?
a. Lausanne, Switzerland
b. Geneva, Switzerland
c. Sydney, Australia
d. New York, USA
5. RECENTLY, WHO HAS RECEIVED RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL SADBHAWANA AWARD?
a. Dilip Kumar
b. Shubha Mudgal
c. Amitabh Bacchan
d. Vidya Balan
6. HOW MANY SPORTS WILL BE ADDED IN OLYMPIC GAMES, TOKOYO 2020?
1) A 2) C 3) D 4) A 5) B 6) B