GK SERIES FOR SSC,IAS,PCS,HAS,HCS
AND OTHER COMPETITIVE EXAMS
POST GUPTA PERIOD
· According to Harsha-Charita, a royal line was founded by Pushyabhuti, a devout Saivite, somewhere near Thaneswar in the Karnal district of Haraya.
· The important ruler of this dynasty was Prabhakaravardhana (580 – 605 AD) who assumed the title Maharajadhiraj.
· A few details of Prabhkarvardhana are to be found in Harshacharita. He was the great General, who possibly defeated the Hunas also. Bana also mentions that he was the devotee of the sun.
· Prabhakaravardhana had two sons, Rajhavardhan and Harshavardhana and one daughter, Rajyasri. Grahavarman of the Maukhari dynasty was married to Rajyasri.
· After the death of Prabhakaravardhan, Rajyavardhan ascended the throne in 605 AD. When Grahavarman was killed by the Malwa ruler Deva Gupta, Rajyavardhan went after the Malwa army. The Malwa king was defeated and possibly killed.
· On his return Rajyavardhana was confronted by Sasanka (ruler of Gaud). Rajyavardhana was killed by Sasanka.
· After his death, Harshavardhana succeeded to the throne of Kanauj. He was also known as Siladitya.