DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 4 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. WEF INDIA ECONOMIC SUMMIT IN DELHI ON OCTOBER 6-7
i. World Economic Forum will host its annual India Economic Summit on October 6-7 in New Delhi.
ii. It will be attended by over 500 business and political leaders including top policymakers and CEOs.
iii. The theme of the meet is 'Fostering an Inclusive India through Digital Transformation'.
2. RAJASTHAN BECOMES FIRST STATE TO APPROVE SEWAGE & WASTE WATER POLICY
i. Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to approve sewage and wastewater policy.
ii. Under this policy all district headquarters, heritage cities, and cities in the state which have more than one lakh population will be included.
iii. Waste water will be treated and used in irrigation and agricultural work.
iv. It will be compulsory for every house in the state to connect with sewage system in those cities which have 100% sewage system in next five years.
Chief Minister of Rajasthan: Vasundhara Raje
3. SIX NEW IITS GET PARLIAMENT NOD
i. The Parliament has approved the establishment of six new IITs across the country by passing the Institutes of Technology Biill, 2016 in the Rajya Sabha.
ii. These IITs will be started in Palakkad in Kerala, Goa, Dharwad in Karnataka, Bhilai in Chhattisgarh, Jammu, and Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh.
4. SBI LAUNCHES CHEAPER HOME LOAN SCHEMES FOR PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKING EMPLOYEES AND DEFENCE PERSONNEL
i. India's largest public sector bank State Bank of India has launched 2 new schemes of loans for the employees of central as well as state government, public sector undertaking employees and Defence personnel.
ii. The bank has introduced ‘Privilege Home Loan’ for government employees and ‘Shaurya Home Loan’ for Defence Personnel with pensionable service.
iii. Under the new schemes, loans will be available without any processing fees.
iv. The interest rates will be 0.05 % less than current interest rates on home loans.
5. BHEL COMMISSIONS 500 MW MARWA THERMAL POWER STATION IN CHHATTISGARH
i. State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd BHEL has commissioned the second 500 Mw thermal unit at Marwa Thermal Power Station in Janjgir-Champa district of Chhattisgarh.
ii. The first unit of Marwa TPS was also commissioned earlier by BHEL.
iii. In Chhattisgarh, BHEL has contributed a total of 12,500 MW to the state's installed power generation, including central and private sector utilities.
6. PUSHPA KAMAL DAHAL ELECTED AS NEW PRIME MINISTER OF NEPAL
i. Maoist Party Chief Pushpa Kamal Dahal, also known as Prachanda, has been elected as the new Prime Minister of Nepal.
ii. Dahal who will be heading a coalition government comprising Nepali Congress, the largest party in parliament, will be taking the oath of office and secrecy at the President’s Office today.
7. BCCI APPOINTS KATJU TO HEAD A LEGAL PANEL TO HELP IMPLEMENT LODHA REPORT
i. The BCCI has appointed former SC judge Markandey Katju as the head of a 4-member legal panel to help the implications of the Justice Lodha Committee reforms.
ii. This panel will be a single point interface for the BCCI to interact with the Justice Lodha Committee.
iii. Justice Markandey Katju is the former Chairman, Press Council of India.
8. ANGELA RUGGIERO APPOINTED IOC’S ATHLETES’ COMMISSION CHAIR
i. American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero has been elected as the new chair of the International Olympic Committee’s Athletes’ Commission.
ii. He will be replacing Claudia Bokel.
iii. Angela Ruggiero is a former ice hockey player who is serving as the current Vice-Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. THE HEADQUARTERS OF WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM IS LOCATED AT?
d. New York
2. WHICH PUBLIC SECTOR BANK HAS INTRODUCED “SHAURAYA HOME LOAN” FOR DEFENCE PERSSONEL?
3. WHO HAS ELECTED AS THE NEW CHIEF MINISTER OF NEPAL?
a. Pushpa Kamal Dahal
b. Pushpa Koirala
c. Pushpa Oli
d. None of these
4. “ANGELA RUGGIERO”, THE HOCKEY OLYMPIC CHAMPION BELONGS TO WHICH OF THESE NATIONS?
d. South Africa
5. WHO WILL THE LEGAL PANEL OF BCCI TO HELP IN IMPLEMENTATION OF LODHA COMMITTEE?
a. HL Dattu
b. Markandey Katju
c. P Sathasivam
d. TS Thakur
6. NAME THE STATE WHICH HAS APPROVED SEWAGE & WASTE WATER POLICY?
1) B 2) D 3) A 4) C 5) B 6) D