DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 13 JUNE 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. SATYA PAL JAIN APPOINTED AS LAW COMMISSION MEMBER
i. Additional Solicitor General of India Satya Pal Jain has been appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
ii. The appointment will be in addition to his charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
iii. The President constituted the 21st Law Commission of India on 1 September 2015 and will end on 31 August 2018.
iv. Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan, retired Judge of the Supreme Court, is the Chairman of the Commission.
v. Law Commission of India is an executive body established by an order of the Government of India in 1955.
vi. It works for legal reforms and its members will be primarily legal experts, who are entrusted a mandate by the Union Government.
2. SIKKIM BECOMES INDIA’S FIRST STATE TO LAUNCH OPEN GOVERNMENT DATA PORTAL
i. Sikkim became the first state in India to have an open government data portal linked ‘sikkim.data.gov.in’.
ii. The portal has been developed by Government of Sikkim’s Information Technology Department.
iii. The open government data portal facilitates free use, reuse and redistribution of data produced or commissioned b the government or government controlled entities by anyone.
3. INDIA RANKED 141 OUT OF 163 COUNTRIES ON 2016 GLOBAL PEACE INDEX
i. India was ranked 141 on a Global Peace Index in 2016 out of 163 countries, making it less peaceful country.
ii. India has moved up two positions from 143rd rank in 2015 GPI.
iii. The list is topped by Iceland followed by Denmark, Austria, New Zealand etc.
iv. The least peaceful countries is Pakistan.
4. UNION RAILWAYS MINISTRY FLAGS OFF CHAMPARAN SATYAGRAH EXPRESS TRAIN IN BIHAR
i. Union Railways Ministry has flagged off Champaran Satyagrah Express train at a function in Motihari, Bihar.
ii. Champaran Satyagrah Express train has been introduced to mark 100 years of the historic Champaran Satyagraha launched by Mahatma Gandhi in 1917.
iii. The Champaran Satyagraha of 1917 was Mahatma Gandhi’s first Satyagraha in India.
iv. It was launched against the oppressive policies European indigo planters that led to exploitation of tens of thousands of landless serfs, indentured labourers and poor farmers in Champaran.
5. GOOGLE, TATA TRUSTS LAUNCH ‘INTERNET SATHI’ IN WEST BENGAL TO EMPOWER RURAL WOMEN
i. The search giant Google Inc and Tata Trusts have jointly launched ‘Internet Saathi’ program in Purulia district of West Bengal.
ii. The initiative has been launched as part of Google’s ‘Helping Women Get Online’ campaign
iii. The main of the programme is to create awareness about the benefits of Internet among women in rural India.
6. 12 JUNE OBSERVED AS WORLD DAY AGAINST CHILD LABOUR
i.The World Day Against Child Labour is being observed across world on 12th June .
ii.The day is observed to bring awareness against child labour.
iii. The main aim of the day is to bring together governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society, as well as millions of people from around the world to highlight the plight of child labourers.
iv. The theme of the day is ‘child labour and supply chains’
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHO IS THE CHAIRMAN OF LAW COMMISSION?
a. Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan
b. Justice Sandeep Kaur
c. Justice R. Subramanyam
d. None of these
2. NAME THE NEW MEMBER WHO IS RECENTLY APPOINTED FOR 21ST LAW COMMISSION OF INDIA?
a. Satya Pal Singh
b. Jayant Sinha
c. Shila Jain
d. Karan Bedi
3. SKKIM HAS LAUNCHED OPEN GOVERNMENT DATA PORTAL FOR THE STATE PEOPLE. SO, NAME THE CAPITAL OF STATE?
4. WHO FLAGS OFF THE ‘CHAMPARAN SATYAGRAH EXPRESS’ TRAIN IN MOTIHARI, BIHAR?
a. Nitish Kumar
b. Suresh Prabhu
c. Narendra Modi
d. Sarad Pawar
5. WHICH COUNTRY IS THE LEAST PEACEFUL ACCORDING TO “GLOBAL PEACE INDEX”?
1. A 2. B 3. C 4. B 5. D