DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 22 JUNE 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. SRI LANKAN PRESIDENT AND PM NARENDRA MODI INAUGURATE DURAIAPPAH STADIUM IN JAFFNA
i. PM Narendra Modi with Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena have inaugurated Duraiappah Stadium in Jaffna.
ii. The renovation work of the stadium is funded by India.
iii. The newly renovated Duraiappah Stadium has been named in rememberance of a former Mayor of Jaffna late Alfred Thambirajah Duraiappah.
2. UNION MINISTRY OF AYUSH RELEASES YOG GEET FOR 2016 INTERNATIONAL YOGA DAY
i. The Union Ministry of AYUSH Ministry has released a Yog Geet known as Yoga song for celebrating the second International Yoga Day on 21st June 2016.
ii. The Yoga song was selected from the 1,000 entries were received through a national-level competition organised by the AYUSH Ministry.
iii. It is the three-minute-15-seconds song in Hindi.
iv. It has been produced and written by Dheeraj Saraswat.
3. CHINA’S SUNWAY TAIHULIGHT DECLARED WORLD’S FASTEST SUPERCOMPUTER
i. Chinese supercomputer Sunway TaihuLight was declared as the world’s fastest supercomputer.
ii. Sunway TaihuLight is a supercomputer that can perform 93 petaflop operations per second.
iii. List of TOP Supercomputers
a. Sunway TaihuLight of china
b. Tianhe-2 of china
c. Titan of USA
4. KANNADA FILM ‘THITHI’ WINS BEST FILM AWARD IN 19TH SHANGHAI INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
i. ‘Thithi ‘, a Kannada film won the best film award and best script writers award at the Asia New Talent Awards in the Shanghai International Film Festival.
ii. It is the only Indian film that has been selected for screening in the festival of Shanghai.
5. FORMER CRICKETER CHETAN CHAUHAN NAMED AS NIFT CHAIRMAN
i. Former BJP MP Chetan Chauhan has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Institute of Fashion Technology.
ii. NIFT the premier fashion institute was set up in 1986.
iii. It comes under the Union Ministry of Textiles.
6. UNION GOVERNMENT BANS USE OF POTASSIUM BROMATE AS FOOD ADDITIVE
i. The Union Government banned use of potassium bromate as a food additive on recommendation of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India .
ii. Potassium bromated is a cancer causing chemical .
iii. According to the most commonly available brands of pre-packaged breads, pav and buns, tested positive for potassium bromate and potassium iodate.
7. SBI NAMED IN HALL OF SHAME LIST OF BANKS FUNDING CLUSTER BOMB MAKERS
i. The State Bank of India named in the Hall of Shame list of 158 banking institutions that have invested billions of dollars in companies making cluster bombs.
ii. State Bank of India is the only Indian bank on the list that includes global giants like JP Morgan, Barclays, Bank of America and Credit Suisse.
iii. The report looks at investments into companies involved in the production of cluster munitions.
iv. Cluster munition is a form of air-dropped or ground-launched explosive weapon that releases or ejects smaller submunitions.
v. These are designed to kill personnel and destroy vehicles.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHAT IS THE CURRENCY OF SRI LANKA?
2. DURAIAPPAH STADIUM IN JAFFNA WAS INAUGURATED BY PM NARENDRA MODI & SRI LANKAN PRESIDENT. NAME THE PRESIDENT OF SRI LANKA?
a. Mahinda Rajapaksa
b. Chandrika Kumartuvga
c. Maithripala Srisena
d. None of these
3. “YOG GEET” IS RELEASED ON 2ND INTERNATIONAL YOGA DAY BY UNION MINISTERS OF AYUSH. WHAT IS THE TIME DURATION OF “YOG GEET”?
a. 2min 45 sec
b. 3min 15 sec
c. 4min 5sec
d. 3min 10sec
4. NAME THE WORLD’S FASTEST SUPERCOMPUTER WHICH IS LAUNCHED BY CHINA?
d. Sunway Taihulight
5. WHO IS THE DIRECTOR OF THE KANADA FILM ‘THITHI’ WHICH WON THE BEST FILM AWARD AT THE 19TH INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL, SHANGHAI?
a. Ram Gopal Verma
b. Raam Reddy
c. Gk Iyer
d. Both c & d
6. RECENTLY, WHO IS APPOINTED AS THE CHAIRMAN OF NIFT?
a. Chetan Chauhan
b. Chetan Kaushal
c. Chetan Bhagat
d. Chetan Singh
7. NAME THE CHEMICAL WHOSE ADDITION TO THE FOOD PRESERVATIVES CAUSES CANCER AND BAN BY UNION GOVERNMENT?
b. Potassium Chlorate
c. potassium Bromate
d. Potassium Chloride
1. A 2. C 3. B 4. D 5. B 6. A 7. C