DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 17 JULY 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. INDIA FIRST COUNTRY TO BECOME YAWS-FREE
i. India achieves yet another public health milestone becomes first country to be declared free of Yaws, an infection of the skin and bones.
ii. The India is focusing on WHO global target year of 2020.
iii. YAWS is a kind of bacterial infection that affects skin, bones and joints, while tetanus, another bacterial infection, leads to muscle spasms that can be fatal.
2. THREE INDIAN SITES LISTED AMONG UNESCO’S WORLD HERITAGE SITES
i. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization has listed Franco-Swiss architect Le Corbusier’s works among its World Heritage Sites.
ii. The listed works include Chandigarh’s Complexe du Capitole, Khangchendzonga National Park and Mount Khangchendzonga.
iii. It is the first time that any country got three sites inscribed in the Word Heritage List at a single session of the committee meeting.
3. PEMA KHANDU SWORN-IN AS ARUNACHAL PRADESH CHIEF MINISTER
i. Pema Khandu was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh.
ii. Governor Tataghata Roy administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to him.
4. VIJENDER SINGH DEFEATS KERRY HOPE TO CLINCH WBO ASIA PACIFIC SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
i. Vijender Singh, the boxing star from India grabbed the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title at the Thyagraj Stadium, New Delhi.
ii. He defeated former WBC European champion Kerry Hope.
iii. Heo became the country’s first-ever professional boxing title holder.
5. TURKISH MUSICIAN KUDSI ERGUNER NAMED UNESCO ARTIST FOR PEACE
i. Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner was appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace.
ii. Udsi Ergüner was named in recognition of his efforts in:
a. To promote the universal values of music, an essential instrument of dialogue between cultures
b. For his contribution to the protection of musical heritage
c. His support for the International Decade of the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022)
d. His unwavering commitment to the ideals of the Organization
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE COUNTRY WHO HAS DECLARED YAWS FREE BY UNICEF & WHO?
2. KHANGCHENDZONGA NATIONAL PARK IS LOCATED AT WHICH STATE OF INDIA?
3. WORLD HERITAGE COMMITTEE IS MAINTAINED BY WHICH INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION?
d. both b and c
4. PEMA KHANDU, SET A NEW CHIEF MINISTER OF ARUNACHAL PRADESH HAS REPLACED WHICH AMONG OF THE FOLLOWING?
a. Nabam Tuki
b. Chowa Mein
c. Tataghata Roy
d. None of these
5. THE FAMOUS PLAYER “KERRY HOPE” BELONGS TO WHICH GAME?
6. NAME THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF UNICEF?
a. Rayan Booth
b. Harry Pantela
c. Irina Bokova
d. None of these
1. B 2. D 3. C 4. A 5. B 6. C