DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 16 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. NAWAZUDDIN SIDDIQUI, SONAM KAPOOR WIN TOP AWARDS AT IFF MELBOURNE
i. Bollywood star actors Sonam Kapoor and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2016.
ii. The theme for this year 2016 is ‘Women Empowerment’. Angry India Goddesses, will bring the curtains down for the festival.
Award winners are:
1. Best Actor (Male) – Nawazuddin Siddiqui for Raman Raghav
2. Best Actor (Female) – Sonam Kapoor for Neerja
3. Best Film Award – Kapoor & Sons
4. Best Indie Film – Thithi
5. Best Director – Shakun Batra
6. Indian Film Festival Excellence in Cinema Award(lifetime achievement award) – Rishi Kapoor.
2. SOUTH INDIAN BANK, SBI CARD TO LAUNCH CO-BRANDED CREDIT CARD
i. Kochi Based leading private sector Lender South Indian Bank and SBI Card, one of India's leading Credit Card issuers, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
ii. Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
3. IRDAI SLAPS RS 35 LAKH FINE ON BHARTI AXA GENERAL INSURANCE
i. IRDAI has imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Co Ltd for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
ii. The fine is based on violation related with an inspection finding during December 2012 to March 2013.
4. SMART GANGA CITY PROGRAMME LAUNCHED IN 10 CITIES
i. Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti has jointly launched 'Smart Ganga City' programme in 10 cities located along Ganga to set up Sewage Treatment Plants.
ii. The plans are started to improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
iii. These cities has been chosen by the National Mission for Clean Ganga.
5. INDIAN ACE WINS AUSTRALIAN OPEN SQUASH
i. India squash queen Dipika Pallikal won the Australian Open squash title by beating Mayar Hany of Egypt
ii. Pallikal stands on 10th in ranking table and this is Dipika’s 11th title.
6. NUCLEAR SUPPLIERS’ INSURANCE POLICY UNVEILED
i. New India Assurance Co and india nuclear insurance pool will issue the policy and administer the claims on behalf of the pool.
ii. INIP is the 27th global nuclear insurance pool which was launched by General Insurance Corporation of India in association with non-life.
iii. This pool provides capacity for insurance coverage to operators and suppliers for any nuclear liability towards third party.
7. CLRI SCIENTIST BAGS A P J ABDUL KALAM AWARD
i. Central Leather Research Institute's Principal Scientist P Shanmugam has bagged the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu .
ii. Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa presented the award comprising a certificate, Rs. 5 lakh cheque and 8 gram gold medal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE DIRECTOR OF THE FILM “KAPOOR & SONS”?
a. Karan Johar
b. Sanjay Leela Bhansali
c. Shakun Batra
d. None of these
2. SBI IS LAUNCHING CO-BRANDED CREDIT CARD WITH WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BANKS?
a. South Indian Bank
b. Punjab National Bank
c. Karnataka Bank
d. Bandhan Bank
3. IN HOW MANY CITIES “SMART GANGA CITY” PROGRAMME HAS BEEN LAUNCHED?
4. INDIAN ACE CHAMPION “DIPIKA PALLIKAL” HAS DEFEATED WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES PLAYER?
5. DR. APJ ABDUL KALAM AWARD HAS BEEN GIVEN TO WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING?
a. P. Shanmugam
b. S. Chandran
c. IR Iyer
d. None of these
1) C 2) A 3) B 4) C 5) A