DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 17 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. SINGAPORE RANKED 6TH IN GLOBAL INNOVATION INDEX
i. India climbed 15 spots, from 81 last year, to 66 in the Global Innovation Index and maintained the top spot in the Central and South Asia regions in global innovation index.
ii. Switzerland, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America and Finland have been placed ahead of Singapore as the top 5 in the index.
iii. Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands and Germany follow, including in the top 10 most innovative economies.
2. L&T BAGS CONTRACT TO CONVERT NAGPUR INTO INTEGRATED SMART CITY
i. Larsen & Toubro has been identified as Implementation Partner to convert Nagpur into the country's first large-scale integrated Smart City.
ii. The goal of building a smart city is to improve the quality of life by using technology to improve the efficiency of services and meet residents’ needs.
3. CHINA SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHES WORLD'S FIRST QUANTUM SATELLITE
i. China today successfully launched the world's first quantum satellite which boasts of establishing hack-proof communications between space and the ground .
ii. It is equipped with security features to prevent wiretapping and intercepts.
iii. The satellite nicknamed "Micius" was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
4. FIRST SPEAKER OF DELHI ASSEMBLY CHARTI LAL GOEL PASSES AWAY
i. Charti Lal Goel, the first speaker of the Delhi Assembly has passed away today after prolonged illness.
ii. Charti Lal, 89, breathed his last at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
5. USAIN BOLT WINS GOLD IN MEN'S 100 METERS IN RIO OLYMPICS
i. Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt has won gold in the 100-metre final in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
ii. He became the first man to win the event 3 times at consecutive Olympic Games.
iii. Bolt won the race in 9.81 seconds.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHAT IS THE POSITION OF INDIA IN GLOBAL INNOVATION INDEX?
2. WHICH CITY OF INDIA IS GOING TO BECOME INDIA’S 1ST LARGE SCALE INTEGRATED SMART CITY?
3. NAME THE WORLD’S FIRST QUANTUM SATELLITE?
4. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES HAVE SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHED WORLD’S FIRST QUANTUM SATELLITE?
5. WHO WAS THE FIRST SPEAKER OF DELHI ASSEMBLY?
a. Charati Lal Goel
b. Nanawati Goel
c. Aswin Kumar Goel
d. Lal Manohar Goel
1) B 2) C 3) A 4) D 5) A