DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 18 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. NEW GOVERNERS APPOINTED IN FOUR STATES
i. Banwarilal Purohit has been appointed as new Governer of Assam after replacing Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya.
ii. V.P. Singh Badnore has been appointed as new Governor of Punjab.
iii. Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed as new Governor of Andaman and Nicobar
iv. Najma Heptulla has been appointed as new Governor of Manipur.
2. RBI IMPOSED PENALTY ON FOUR COOPERATIVE BAN
i. Reserve Bank of India has imposed penalties on four cooperative banks for violating RBI norms.
ii. The following banks are fined by RBI such as:
a. Cooperative City Bank of Guwahati
b. Indapur Urban Cooperative Bank
c. Shri Dadasaheb Gajmal Cooperative Bank of Pachora
d. Model Cooperative Urban Bank, Hyderabad.
3. UTTAR PRADESH CABINET APPROVES METRO RAIL FOR ALLAHABAD
i. A Metro Rail project for Allahabad has been approved by Uttar Pradesh government.
ii. The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
iii. The state cabinet also approved a scheme to provide free school bags and books to students till class VIII in government schools.
4. A.R. RAHMAN HAS BEEN HONOURED WITH TAMIL RATNA AWARD
i. Oscar winning music maestro A.R. Rahman has been honoured by the America Tamil Sangam with its Tamil Ratna Award.
ii. A.R Rahman was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
5. TELANGANA GETS HIGHEST GALLANTRY MEDALS IN COUNTRY
i. Telangana State has received the highest number of gallantry medals for police personnel in the country on the eve of Independence Day.
ii. It was the only State unit to secure the President’s police medal for gallantry.
6. SEHWAG BECOMES MCC'S HONORARY LIFE MEMBER
i. Virender Sehwag former India batsman has been awarded the honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club
ii. Marylebone Cricket Club is a cricket club in London founded in 1787.
iii. Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly are already members of MCC.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHO HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS THE NEW GOVERNOR OF PUNJAB?
a. Kaptan Singh
b. Captain Solanki
c. V.P Singh
d. Jagdish Mukhi
2. HOW MUCH AMOUNT OF PENALTY WAS IMPOSED ON COOPERATIVE CITY BANK, GUWAHATI BY RBI?
a. 1 lakh
b. 1.5 lakh
c. 2 lakh
d. 5 lakh
3. NAME THE CHIEF MINISTER OF UTTAR PRADESH?
a. Akhilesh Yadav
b. Kripal Yadav
c. Mahesh Yadav
d. Kesav Singh
4. NAME THE PERSON WHO HAS RECEIVED “TAMIL RATANA AWARD”?
a. Rajani Kanth
b. A.R Rehman
c. Mahesh Babu
5. RECENTLY, WHO HAS BECOME HONORARY LIFE MEMBER OF MCC?
a. Sachin Tendulkar
b. Rahul Dravid
c. Virender Shewag
d. Virat Kohli
1. C 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. C