DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 21 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. SACHIN TENDULKAR ADOPTED VILLAGE IN OSMANABAD UNDER SAGY
i. Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar has adopted Donja village in Osmanabad district of Maharashtra for development under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna programme .
ii. Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is a rural development programme.
iii. The programme was launched by the Prime Minister of India on the birth anniversary of Jayaprakash Narayan, on 11 October 2014.
2. IIT-KANPUR ADOPTED VILLAGES UNDER NAMAMI GANGE
i. IIT-Kanpur has adopted 5 villages under the Namami Gange programme .
ii. It will use its expertise to restrict the flow of sewage into the river.
iii. The five villages adopted by the institute are: Ramel Nagar, Hari Hindpur, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur, and Katri Ladhva Khera.
iv. IIT-Kanpur will ensure sewage water is not disposed of in the river and also keep a check on quality of drinking water and sanitation.
3. 7 INDIAN COMPANIES AMONG TOP 200 CARBON CLEAN FIRMS
i. Seven Indian companies have been listed on carbon-clean list of 200 largest companies worldwide.
ii. Japan's Toyota Motor topped the list.
iii. Indian companies listed on the list are:
a. Suzlon Energy at 68th place for wind farms.
b. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd at 106th place for wind electric generators and solar cells.
c. Tata Chemicals placed at 114th rank for chemicals for biodiesel, solar energy and fuel cells.
d. Thermax Ltd is placed at 139th rank.
e. Exide Indus at 153rd place for electric storage batteries.
4. HINDI AUTHOR SUNITA JAIN HONOURED WITH VYAS SAMMAN AWARD
i. Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain has been honoured with Vyas Samman 2015 for her poetry collection "Kshama".
ii. West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi conferred the award on the scholar.
iii. The award is started by the K K Birla Foundation and is given annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored by an Indian citizen.
5. DOHA BANK OPENS FIRST BRANCH IN KERALA
i. Doha Bank has inaugurating its first branch in Kerala.
ii. The branch will offers all banking products to corporate and retail customers.
iii. It will be formally inaugurated by the State Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
6. ALIBABA GROUP LAUNCHES ‘MILLION BOOKS’ DONATION DRIVE
i. The Alibaba Group, with Ratna Nidhi Charitable Trust has launched ‘Mission Million Books’initiative in India.
ii. It has been started to invite Indian citizens to donate textbooks and educational material for the underprivileged.
ii. Alibaba Group Holding Limited is a Chinese e-commerce company that provides consumer-to-consumer, business-to-consumer and business-to-business sales services via web portals.
7. URJIT PATEL APPOINTED AS NEXT RBI GOVERNOR
i. Urjit Patel is the new Reserve Bank of India Governor.
ii. He will replace Raghuram Rajan as the RBI governer.
iii. Raghuram rajan is going to step down on September 3, after his term comes to an end.
iv. Urjit will be India's 24th RBI Governor.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHEN SANSAD GRAM YOJANA WAS LAUNCHED?
a. October, 2009
b. October, 2008
c. October, 2014
d. October, 2015
2. IIT KANPUR HAS ADOPTED HOW MANY VILLAGES IN UTTAR PRADESH UNDER “NAMAMI GANGE” SCHEME TO RESTRICT THE FLOW OF SEWAGE?
3. NAME THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK “KSHAMA”?
a. Sunita Jain
b. Sumitra Jain
c. Nupur Jain
d. Jaya Jain
4. WHERE ARE THE HEADQUARTERS OF DOHA BANK LOCATED?
5. NAME THE DONATION DRIVE WHICH IS LAUNCHED BY ALIBABA GROUP ALONG WITH CROSSWORD AND RATNA NIDHI?
a. Mission Education
b. Mission Book
c. Mission Literacy
d. None of these
6. WHO IS GOING TO BECOME 24TH RBI GOVERNOR OF INDIA?
a. HR Khan
b. C. Rangarajan
c. Urjit Patel
d. Anand Sinha
1) C 2) B 3) A 4) D 5) B 6) C