DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 6th OCT 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. URBAN AREAS OF GUJARAT AND ANDHRA PRADESH DECLARED OPEN DEFECATION FREE
i.The Union Urban Development Ministry has declared urban areas of Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh open defecation free .
ii.These are the first states to become open defecation free in urban areas.
iii.Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Kerala have achieved more than 90% of toilet construction in households.
iv.Open defecation means people defecate in open spaces such as fields, bushes, forests, open bodies of water rather than using the toilet.
2. JHARKHAND BECOMES FIRST STATE TO IMPLEMENT DBT IN KEROSENE
i.Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer in Kerosene Scheme.
ii. The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the state from 1st of October 2017.
iii. Under this scheme kerosene will be sold at non-subsidised price and the subsidy will be directly transferred to consumers directly into their bank accounts.
3. ELEPHANT RESEARCHER PRAJNA CHOWTA CONFERRED WITH KNIGHTHOOD BY FRANCE
I.Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite by the French government.
ii.She has been conferred with the France’s one of the highest civilian recognitions in recognition of a life devoted to caring for wild Asian elephants.
Iii.This year businesswoman Kiran Mazumdar haw and actor Kamal Hassan were recognised under the French government’s Legion of Honour award
4. SUSHIL CHANDRA APPOINTED CBDT CHAIRMAN
i.The Union Government appointed Indian Revenue Service officer Sushil Chandra as the Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes .
ii.He will replacen Rani Singh Nair who will retire on 31 October 2016.
iii. The Central Board of Direct Taxes is the policy-making body of the Income Tax Department under the Union Finance Ministry.
5. MARIA SHARAPOVA DRUGS BAN REDUCED FROM TWO YEARS TO 15 MONTHS
i.Russian Tennis star Maria Sharapova's doping ban was reduced from two years to 15 months .
ii.The Court of Arbitration for Sport cut nine months off the suspension imposed on Sharapova, who was tested positive for a banned substance - Meldonium - at the 2016 Australian Open in January 2016.
iii.Earlier she was banned for two years by the International Tennis Federation.
6. JEAN-PIERRE SAUVAGE, J FRASER STODDART AND BERNARD L FERINGA WON 2016 NOBEL PRIZE IN CHEMISTRY
i.The 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry on 5 October 2016 was awarded to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir James Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L Feringa.
ii.The trio were bestowed with the prestigious award for the design and synthesis of molecular machines.
iii. Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir James Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L Feringa have developed molecules with controllable movements, which can perform a task when energy is added.
iv. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015 was awarded jointly to Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich and Aziz Sancar for mechanistic studies of DNA repair.
7. FRANCE BECOMES FIRST COUNTRY TO BAN PLASTIC CUPS AND PLATES
i.France has become the first country in the world to ban disposable plastic cups and plates.
ii. The law will require all disposable tableware to be made from 50% biologically-sourced materials that can be composted at home. That number will rise to 60% by January of 2025.
iii.In July 2016, France imposed a total ban on the distribution of lightweight plastic bags at supermarket checkouts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHICH OF THE TWO STATES OF INDIA HAVE BEEN DECLARED “OPEN DEFECATION FREE” ON THE 2ND ANNIVERSARY OF THE SWACHH BHARAT MISSION?
a. Gujrat & Assam
b. Assam & Tripura
c. Gujrat & Andhra Pradesh
d. Assam & West Bengal
2. WHICH COUNTRY HAS BECOME 1ST IN THE WORLD TO BAN PLASTIC CUP AND PLATES?
3. JEAN-PIERRE SAUVAGE, SIR JAMES FRASER AND BERNARD L FERINGA HAD RECEIVED 2016 NOBEL PRIZE IN WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING FIELDS?
4. WHO IS APPOINTED AS THE CHAIRMAN OF CBDT?
a. Sushil Chandra
b. Sushil Singh
c. Sashi Chandra
d. None of these
5. “JHARKHAND” WILL IMPLEMENT DIRECT BENEFIT TRANSFER IN WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SCHEMES?
a. LPG Subsidy
c. Kerosene Scheme
d. None of these