DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 5th OCT 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. UNION GOVERNMENT LAUNCHES INDIAN BRIDGE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
i.The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched the Indian Bridge Management System .
ii. It is launched to ensure safety of bridges in the country.
iii.It is being developed to create an inventory of all bridges in country and rate structural condition of the bridges.
iv.The rating will help for their timely repair and carrying rehabilitation work based on the criticality of the structure.
2. AADHAAR CARD MUST FOR LPG SUBSIDY AFTER NOVEMBER 2016
i.The Union Government has made Aadhaar card mandatory for availing cooking gas subsidies after November 2016.
ii.The government gives 12 LPG cylinders at subsidised rates per household in a year.
iii.The subsidy on every LPG cylinder is transferred directly into bank accounts of individuals who then buy the cooking fuel at market rates.
iv.Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which acts as a proof of identity and address anywhere in the country and it is considered as the world’s largest national identification project.
3. RBI CUTS REPO RATE BY 25 BPS IN 4TH BI-MONTHLY MONETARY POLICY STATEMENT
i.The Reserve Bank of India in its fourth bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has cut the repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.25%.
ii.This monetary policy decision was taken by the newly constituted Monetary Policy Committee.
iii. Policy Rates under new monetary [policy
a. Repo rate Reduced by 0.25 basis points to 6.25 percent.
b. Reverse repo rate adjusted to 5.75 per cent.
c. Marginal standing facility and Bank Rate to 6.75 per cent.
d. Cash Reserve Ratio changed at 4.0 per cent
e. Statutory Liquidity Ratio to20.75 per cent.
4. BRITISH TRIO DAVID THOULESS, F DUNCAN M HALDANE AND MICHAEL KOSTERLITZ WIN 2016 NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS
i.British trio of physicists David Thouless, F Duncan M Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz have won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics.
ii. They are honoured for their individual researches on theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter.
iii. The research work on Topology is a branch of mathematics involving step-wise changes like making a series of holes in an object.
5. SBI BECOMES FIRST DOMESTIC BANK TO OPEN BRANCH IN YANGON, MYANMAR
i.State Bank of India has announced the opening up its foreign branch in Yangon, the capital city of Myanmar.
ii. SBI became the first domestic bank of India to open a branch in Myanmar.
6. JAPAN’S YOSHINORI OHSUMI WINS 2016 NOBEL PRIZE IN MEDICINE
i.Yoshinori Ohsumi of Japan has won the 2016 Nobel Prize for physiology or Medicine for his pioneering work on autophagy.
ii. Autophagy is a process whereby cells “eat themselves”
iii. It is a fundamental process in cell physiology dealing with how the body breaks down and recycles cellular components.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE PRESENT UNION MINISTER OF ROAD & TRANSPORT?
a. Manohar Parrikar
b. Nitin Gadkari
c. Suresh Prabhu
d. None of these
2. HOW MANY NUMERALS ARE USED TO FORM AADHAR CARD NUMBER?
3. IN THE 4TH BI-MONTHLY MONETARY POLICY REVIEW, REPO RATE IS REDUCED BY HOW MANY POINTS?
5. WHICH NATION TRIO HAS RECEIVED THE 2016 NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS?
6. NAME THE BANK WHICH HAS BECOME 1ST DOMESTIC BANK TO OPEN A BRANCH IN YANGOON, MAYANMAR?
a.Punjab National Bank
c.State Bank of India