DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 20 MAY 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. MOODY FORECASTED INDIA'S GROWTH RATE AT 7.5% IN 2016 & 2017
i. International rating agency Moody's has forecasteda growth rate of about 7.5 percent for the Indian economy in 2016 and 2017.
ii. Moody stated that India's GDP growth is strong, private investment remains weak. Capital utilization rates also remain low.
2. BONDED LABOUR REHAB TO BE MADE CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME
i. Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya stated that the Centre is revising the rehabilitation of bonded labour scheme bringing it into the Central sector.
ii. The government is planning to provide financial assistance from rs. 20,000 to rs. 1 lakh.
iii. The scheme proposes to increase the Budget provision from rs. 5 crore to about rs. 47 crore per annum.
3. NEPAL SBI BANK LAUNCHES PAYMENT GATEWAY
i. Nepal SBI Bank has launched payment gateway to provide online trade and non-trade transactions between the Himalayan nation 'Nepal' and India.
ii. The Payment Gateway was inaugurated by SBI Managing Director B Sriram.
iii. It will provide the customer of Nepal SBI Bank can utilize various features of mobile banking and other value added services along with the platform of the payment gateway.
4. PNB TOPS LIST OF WORST LOSSES IN INDIAN BANKING HISTORY
i. Punjab National Bank has reported the largest net loss of rs. 5,367.14 crore for 4th quarter ended 31st of March in bad loans.
ii. This is the biggest quarterly loss in Indian bank history.
iii. Indian banks have seen a increase in bad loans after a clean up ordered of their books under an asset quality review by the Reserve Bank of India.
5. APPLE ANNOUNCES OPENING OF ITS MAP DEVELOPMENT CENTRE IN HYDERABAD
i. Apple CEO Tim Cook has announced the opening of its Hyderabad technology centre.
ii. The centre will focus on the development of maps for its mobile products like iPhones, Macs, iPads and Apple Watches.
iii. The centre has drawn in estimated investment of $25 million will employ up to 4,000 people according to the company.
6. UN SECRETARY-GENERAL APPOINTS PATRICIA ESPINOSA CANTELLANO EXECUTIVE SECRETARY OF UNFCCC
i. United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Patricia Espinosa Cantellano of Mexico as Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
ii. She will replace Christiana Figueres of Costa Rica.
7. INDIAN AMERICAN RUPA IYER AWARDED FOR TEACHING IN US
i. Rupa Iyer an Indian-American bio-technologist has received the University of Houston's highest teaching award .
ii. The award is given for her sustained and significant contributions to education in the US.
iii. It is the highest award given in teaching by the varsity to the persson who has ten or more years of teaching experience and has made sustained and significant contributions to education.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHAT IS THE “INDIA’S GROWTH RATE 2016-2017” IS ESTIMATED BY “MOODY”?
2. WHO IS THE PRESENT UNION LABOUR MINISTER OF INDIA?
a. Sushant Singh
b. Bandaru Dattatreya
c. Ashok Kumar
d. None of these
3. NEPAL’S SBI BANK PAYMENT GATEWAY HAS BEEN INAUGURATED BY________________?
a. B. SriRam
b. Arundhat Bhattacharya
c. UK Singh
d. Raghu Ram Rajan
4. THE HEADQUATER OF ‘PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK’ IS SITUATED AT_________________?
c. New Delhi
5. WHO IS THE CEO OF “APPLE” ORGANIZATION?
a. Tim George
b. Tim Jhonshon
c. Tim Kartan
d. Tim Cook
6. APPLE ANNOUNCES TO OPEN ___________________ AT HYDERABAD, INDIA.
a. its map development centre
b. its IOS development centre
c. its SEO development centre
d. None of these
7. RECENTLY WHO IS APPOINTED AS EXECUTIVE SECRETARY OF UNFCC?
b. Patricia Espinosa Cantellano
c. Thomas Willson
d. None of these
1. A 2. B 3. A 4. C 5. D 6. A 7. B