DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 11 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. RBI RELEASED 3RD BI-MONTHLY MONETARY POLICY STATEMENT 2016-17
i. RBI governer Raghuram Rajan has released the third bi-monthly monetary policy statement for the fiscal year 2016-17 and kept the rates unchanged.
ii. In monetary policy RBI kept the repurchase repo rate at 6.5 %, cash reserve ratio at 4 %, Reverse Repo Rate at 6.00%, Marginal Standing Facility Rate at 7.00%, Bank Rate- 7.00% , Statutory Liquidity Ratio at 21%.
iii. The Growth forecast at 7.6% for the current fiscal and Inflation target remains 5% for January 2017.
2. INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WORLD'S INDIGENOUS PEOPLES OBSERVED ON 9TH AUGUST
i. The International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples is observed on August 9 .
ii. The day is observed to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
iii. The theme for 2016 International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples is 'Right to Education'.
3. MAHARASTRA GOVT LAUNCHES 'QUIT INDIA 2' MOVEMENT TO MARK ITS 75TH ANNIVERSARY
i. To mark the 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement, Maharashtra Government launched Quit India 2-from Swaraaj to Suraaj initiative.
ii. The initiative would focus on freedom from illiteracy, farmer suicide, wastage of water, addiction among youth and corruption.
4. IROM SHARMILA ENDS 16-YEAR-LONG FAST
i. Human rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila today has ended her 16-year-long fast against Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 .
ii. She has been fed through nasal tube since November 2000. Moreover, she spent most of her time in judicial custody in a hospital in Imphal.
iii. The Iron Lady of Manipur went on a hunger-strike at the age of 28 following a massacre in Imphal in which 10 persons were killed.
iv. Her primary demand was repealing of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from her state.
v. She started the world's longest hunger strike till date, on 2 November 2000 by refusing food and water for more than 500 weeks.
5. UNION GOVERNMENT CONSTITUTES AMITABH KANT COMMITTEE TO REVIEW E-COMMERCE RULES
i. The Union Government has decided to set up a committee to look at easing the policy regime for e-commerce players, including the rules for foreign direct investment .
ii. The committee will be headed by Amitabh Kant, CEO of National Institution for Transforming India Aayog.
iii. The Committee will Examine various issues in e-commerce sector and making recommendations for further liberalisation of the policy.
6. YOGA GURU TKV DESIKACHAR PASSES AWAY
i. Renowned Yoga Guru TKV Desikachar has passed away following a brief illness in Chennai.
ii. He was known for transforming the way yoga was practiced and turned it into both a wellness concept and a therapy.
iii. He also founded the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram where today about 1000 students visit every month to learn yoga.
7. DINESH KUMAR KHARA APPOINTED AS MANAGING DIRECTOR OF SBI
i. Dinesh Kumar Khara was appointed Managing Director of State Bank of India.
ii. The appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHO HEADS THE “APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE” OF THE CABINET?
a. President –Mr. Pranab Mukherjee
b. Vice President- Md Hamid Ansari
c. Prime Minister- Mr Narendra Modi
d. Both A and C
2. NAME THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF SBI , WHO IS RECENTLY APPOINTED BY “APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE”?
a. Dinesh Kumar Khara
b. Dinesh Sharma
c. Dinesh Singh
d. None of these
3. “AMITABH KANTH COMMITTEE” IS CONSTITUTED BY UNION GOVERNMENT FOR WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING PURPOSES?
a. NPA Assets
b. Foreign Policies
c. Monetary Policies
d. e-Commerce Policies
4. WHAT IS THE THEME OF “INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLE”?
a. Right to live
b. Right to Education
c. Right to Liberty
d. Right to Freedom
5. WHAT PERCENT OF GROWTH HAS BEEN ESTIMATED BY RBI IN ITS 3RD BI-MONTHLY MONETARY POLICY REVIEW?
6. WHAT IS THE INFLATION TARGET OF RBI FOR JAN 2017?
7. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATES HAVE LAUNCHED “QUIT INDIA2-FROM SWARAAJ-SURAAJ INITIATIVES”?
b. Tamil Nadu
1) C 2) A 3) D 4) B 5) 6) A 7) D