DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 20 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. UP ANNOUNCES RANI LAXMI BAI AWARD FOR SAKSHI MALIK
i. The UP government will honour wrestler Sakshi Malik with Rani Laxmi Bai award.
ii. The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 3.11 lakh.
iii. The 23-year-old won the bronze in the 58-kg category wrestling in olympics.
2. GOVT SLAPS RS 2,500 CRORE PENALTY ON RELIANCE INDUSTRIES
i. Government of India has slapped an penalty of USD 380 million on Reliance Industries and its partners for producing less than targeted natural gas from KG-D6 fields.
ii. The total penalty for missing the target in 5 fiscal years beginning April 1, 2010, now stands at USD 2.76 billion.
3. FEDERAL BANK STARTS DISTRIBUTING MMTC GOLD COINS
i. Federal Bank has become the first private sector bank to start distributing gold coins made by government-controlled Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation of India.
ii. The Indian gold coins are of 24 karat purity and has the National Emblem of Ashok Chakra engraved on one side and the face of Mahatma Gandhi as in currency notes on the other.
iii. These coins were launched by the government of India last year.
iv. The first-ever national gold offering by the Government was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi In November 2015.
4. WORLD'S LONGEST AND HIGHEST GLASS BRIDGE TO OPEN IN CHINA
i. The world's longest and highest glass bridge will open to visitors.
ii. The bridge concreted with 99 panes of three-layer transparent glasses, hangs between two steep cliffs 300 metres altitude is maintained from the ground.
iii. The bridge has set 10 world records spanning its design and construction.
5. COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT SUSPENDS WRESTLER NARSINGH YADAV FOR FOUR YEARS
i. The Court of Arbitration for Sport banned wrestler Narsingh Yadav for four years following an appeal by World Anti-Doping Agency.
ii. The CAS also ruled to disqualify all the competitive results obtained by Narsingh from 25 June 2016.
iii. He will not be able to participate at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
iv. In July 2016 he was tested positive for a banned substance steroid in an out-of-competition test conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency.
v. World anti doping agency headquarters are situated in Lausanne, Switzerland
6. INDIAN BADMINTON PLAYER P V SINDHU WINS SILVER IN WOMEN'S SINGLES BADMINTON EVENT AT RIO OLYMPICS
i. Badminton player P V Sindhu won historic silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at Rio Olympics.
ii. She became the first Indian woman to clinch a silver medal in Olympics.
iii. P V Sindhu is an Indian professional badminton player.
iv. She became the first ever Indian women's singles player to win a medal at the 2013 World Championships.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. HOW MUCH IS THE AMOUNT OF CASH PRIZE FOR “RANI LAXMI BAI AWARD”?
a. 4 lakh
b. 4.12 lakh
c. 3.11 Lakh
d. 3.13 Lakh
2. WHICH STATE HAS ANNOUNCED RANI LAXMI BAI AWARD FOR FREESTYLE WRESTLER “SAKSHI MALIK”?
a. Uttar Pradesh
3. NAME THE PRIVATE SECTOR BANK WHICH HAS STARTED DISTRIBUTING GOLD COINS MADE BY GOVERNMENT OF INDIA AND CONTROLLED BY MMTCI?
a. Axis Bank
b. ICICI Bank
c. YES Bank
d. Federal Bank
4. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES HAVE MADE WORLD’S LONGEST, HIGHEST GLASS BRIDGE?
5. WHERE ARE THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE WORLD ANTI DOPING AGENCY LOCATED?
a. Lusanne, Switzerland
b. New York, USA
c. New Delhi, India
d. Moscow, Russia
1. C 2. A 3. D 4. B 5. A