DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 23 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. IOA CHIEF RAMACHANDRAN AWARDED THE OLYMPIC ORDER
i. Indian Olympic Association President, N. Ramachandran was awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
ii. The Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement awarded for particularly distinguished contributions to the Olympic Movement.
iii. It was established in May 1975.
2. KAMAL HAASAN TO GET PRESTIGIOUS FRENCH HONOUR
i. Famous Actor Kamal Haasan will be honoured with the Chevalier de L'Ordre Arts et Lettres known as The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters by the French government.
ii. The Order is part of France’s premier award, the Legion of Honor.
iii. The order of merit is awarded “to recognize eminent artists and writers, as well as people who have contributed significantly to furthering the arts in France and throughout the world.”
iv. Earlier Indians who have been conferred the Chevalier Order include actors are Sivaji Ganesan, Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, Nandita Das and Shah Rukh Khan.
3. NAJMA HEPTULLA SWORN IN AS GOVERNOR OF MANIPUR
i. Former Union Minister Najma Heptulla was sworn-in as the governor of Manipur.
ii.She replaced Shanmuganathan who was holding the dual charge of Governor of Manipur and Meghalaya.
4. INDO-CANADIAN SIKH MP BECOMES CANADA’S 1ST WOMAN HOUSE LEADER
i. Indo-Canadian Sikh MP Bardish Chagger has been named as the new Leader of the government in Canada’s House of Commons.
ii. She become the first woman to hold the post in the country’s history.
5. SANIA MIRZA GETS NO 1 SPOT IN WOMEN'S DOUBLES BY DEFEATING MARTINA HINGIS
i. Sania Mirza, paired with Barbora Strycova from the Czech Republic, defeated Martina Hingis and her partner Coco Vandeweghe.
ii. This is the first win for Indo-Czech pair.
iii. After winning this event sania retained her number one status on the women's doubles ranking as Hingis slipped to 2nd spot.
6. GUJARAT TO HOST 2016 KABADDI WORLD CUP
i. The International Kabaddi Federation announced that the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
ii. The tournament will take place from 7 October 2016 and will conclude on 22 October 2016.
iii. Gujarat will play host to 12 Kabaddi teams from around the world including India, USA, Canada, United Kingdom, , Pakistan, Australia, Iran, Poland and others.
iv. World Cup 2015 was cancelled because of 2015 Guru Granth Sahib desecration controversy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST AWARD IN OLYMPIC MOVEMENT?
a. Olympic Best Athlete
b. Olympic Best Organization
c. Olympic Order
d. Olympic Re-Generation
2. WHO WILL BE AWARDED THE HIGHEST FRENCH HONOUR CHEVALIER DE L'ORDRE ARTS ET LETTRES (THE KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF ARTS AND LETTERS)?
a. Amitabh Bacchan
b. Kamal Hassan
c. Nandita Das
d. All of the above
3. NAME THE CHAIRPERSON OF BSNL?
a. Anupam Shrivastava
b. Ankit Shrivastava
c. Rohan Singh
d. Aditya Singla
4. RECENTLY, WHO HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS VISTARA BRAND AMBASSDOR?
a. Priyanka Chopra
b. Deepika Padukone
c. Katrina Kaif
d. Aishwarya Rai
5. NAME THE DIRECTOR OF THE FILM “SHANKHACHILL”?
a. Ravinder Ghosh
b. Anupam Ghosh
c. Goutam Ghosh
d. None of these
6. WHO HAS RECEIVED THE AWARD OF OLYMPIC ORDER?
a. N. Ramachandran
b. Suresh Singh
c. R.K Ramachandran
d. NK Singh
1) C 2) D 3) A 4) B 5) C 6) A