DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 29 AUG 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. ISRO TESTS SCRAMJET ROCKET ENGINE
i. The Indian Space Research Organisation successfully test-fired its Scramjet Rocket Engine.
ii. It will use oxygen from the atmosphere thereby reducing launch cost, from the spaceport of Sriharikota.
2. SANIA WON CONNECTICUT OPEN DOUBLES TITLE
i. Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza with her Romanian partner Monica Niculescu defeated Kateryna Bondarenko and Chuang Chia Jung in the final.
ii. Now sania mirja is ranked as world no.1 player in mixed doubles women.
3. INDIA CAPTAIN MS DHONI SETS WORLD RECORD IN USA
i. India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has set a new world record.
ii. He captained India in a record 325th game most by a player in history
iii. He broke the record of Australian skipper Ricky Ponting's mark.
4. LALITA BABAR AND CHESSPLAYER SHARDUL GAGARE TO GET SJAM AWARDS
i. Chess player GM Shardul Gagare, and steeplechase specialist Lalita Babar who finished a creditable 10th in the Rio Olympics, have been chosen for the Sports Journalists Association of Mumbai’s Golden Jubilee Annual Awards 2016.
ii. Gagare will receive the Sportsman of the year award and the Lalita will receive the Sportswoman of the year award.
5. PM MODI ANNOUNCES TASK FORCE TO PREPARE INDIA FOR NEXT THREE OLYMPICS
i. After India’s dismal show in the concluded Rio Olympics 2016 Prime Minister Narendra Modi constituting a task force.
ii. It will make various suggestions to the roadmap for the next three quadrennial Games 2020, 2024 and 2028.
iii. The PM announced that the task will be announced over the next few days at a meeting of the Council of Ministers held in New Delhi.
6. SHARMILA TAGORE APPOINTED AS A NEW MEMBER OF THE BCCC
i. Film actress Sharmila Tagore, theatre activist Arundhati Nag and Ira Bhaskar have been appointed new members of Broadcasting Content Complaints Council.
ii. The Board of Directors of Indian Broadcasting Federation headed by Star India chairman Uday Shankar has approved these appointments for a term of three years in the eminent persons.
7. INDIA'S FIRST TEXTILE UNIVERSITY TO COME UP AT SURAT
i. Gujarat government is planning to set up India's first textile university at Surat.
ii. The main aim of the university is to provide all kind of support including technology, research and development and skilled manpower.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE CHAIRMAN OF ISRO?
a. N Balakrishnan
b. AS Kiran Kumar
c. RK Krishanamurty
d. None of these
2. THE FAMOUS TENNIS PLAYER “MONICA NICULESCU” BELONG TO WHICH NATION?
3. WHO HAS BECOME WORLD NO-1 PLAYER IN MIXED DOUBLES WOMEN?
a. Chuang Chia
b. Monica Niculescu
c. Sania Mirza
d. Martinga Hingis
4. NAME THE INDIAN CRICKET PLAYER WHO HAS SET A WORLD RECORD OF 325TH MATCH CAPTAINCY IN USA?
a. Kapil Dev
b. Virat Kohli
c. Sachin Tendulkar
d. MS Dhoni
5. THE FAMOUS PLAYER “LALITA BABAR” BELONGS TO WHICH GAME?
6. WHO WILL HEAD THE BROADCASTING CONTENT COMPLAINTS COUNCIL (BCCC)?
a. Uday Shankar
b. Sharmila Tagore
c. Arundhati Nag
d. Ira Bhaskar
1. B 2. A 3. C 4. D 5. B 6. A