Daily GK - Free Current Affairs (GK Quiz) history gk GK SERIES FOR SSC,IAS,PCS,HAS,HCS AND OTHER COMPETITIVE EXAMS (HISTORY-1)
Monday, September 26, 2016
Indus Valley Civilization (IVC)
3500 – 1300 BCE
[The Harappan Culture: Bronze Age Civilization]
Features of Indus Valley Civilization:
· Cities were divided into two parts i.e. Upper town(west), also known as Citadel (i.e. fortified) and Lower Town(east).
· Red pottery painted with designs in black.
· Copper, bronze, silver, gold present.
· Bodies were buried in wooden coffins, but during the later stages ‘H symmetry culture’ evolved where bodies were buried in painted burial urns.
· Efficient town planning with streets running from North-South and East-West directions, cutting each other at right angle.
· Northern-most site- Manda (J&K).
· Southern-most site- Daimabad (Maharashtra).
· Eastern-most site- Alamgirpur (UP).
· Western-most site- Sutkagendor (Pakistan).
· Important Ports towns: Lothal , Surkotada , Dholavira
· Mature Harappan phase: c. 2600 – 1900 BCE.
· Largest Harappan site in India is Rakhigarhi in Haryana.
1. Mohanjodero (Term means ” Mound of the dead”)
· Excavated by R.D. Banerjee in 1922.
· Location: Larkana Dist. of Sind (Pakistan) on the bank of Indus.
· Largest Harappan site.
· Major Finding : remains of university, an assembly hall, the great Bath, a large granary, a piece of woven cotton , bronze dancing girl, seal of Pashupati Mahadeva, Steatite statute of a bearded man supposed to a priest, remains of teeth of horse, bull seal and bronze buffalo.
· Probably the city decline due to flooding.
· First IVC sites to be excavated.
· Excavated by Daya Ram Sahini in 1921.
· Location : Montgomery District of Punjab (Pakistan ) on the bank of Ravi.
· Major Finding : two row of 6 granaries, workmen quarters, 2 sandstone statues depicting human anatomy, dog attacking dear, little bullock carts (ekkas), remains of wheat and barley and burnt bricks
· Only sites which yield the evidence of coffin burial.
· Rigveda Mention it as a Hariyupia.
· Location : Baluchistan on Dast river
· Western Harppan site, excavated by Stein in 1929
· It was a trade point between Harappa & Babylon (Iraq).
· The only city with no citadel i.e. it is not fortified.
· Excavated by N G Majumdar in 193.
· Location: Sind on Indus River.
· Major finding: Bead-making factory, inkpot, foot print of a dog chasing a cat and remains of lipstick.
· Excavated by N G Majumdar in 1935.
· Location: Sind on the bank of Indus.
· Evidence of Antelope.
· Excavated by R.S. Bisht (1985-90).
· Location: Gujarat in Rann of Kutch.
· 2nd largest site in India after Rakhigarhi.
· Reveals seven cultural stages.
· The city has three parts i.e. upper, middle and lower town.
· Excavated by J P Joshi in 1964.
· Location: Gujarat.
· Bones of horses and bead making shops found here.
· Excavated by R S Bisth in 1974.
· Location: Hissar district of Haryana on the river Saraswati.
· Both pre-Harappa as well as Harappa culture.
· Major Finding: heap of mustard, toy plough, good quality of barley, bones of horses, bead making shops, terracotta figurines representing humans and birds.
· Excavated by A. Ghose in 1953.
· Major finding: Furrowed Land, Fire alter, camel bones and horse remains.
· Location: Rajasthan on the bank of Ghaggar.
· Kalibanga means black bangles.
· Excavated by R. Rao in 1953.
· Location: Gujarat on banks of river Bhogva near Gulf of Cambay.
· Also called as mini-Harappa.
· Major Finding: first manmade port and a dockyard, bead maker factory, rice husk, fire alters, chess playing, seals of Persia etc.
· Evidence of Joint burial suggest practice of sati
· Punjab, on the banks of river Sutlej.
· Discovered by Y.D Sharma (1955)
· Dog buried with humans.
Monthly GK Capsules of Nov. 2016 Here is the new Monthly GK Capsules . This time we are going to share official PDF file of AAA-...
To Access the File CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 29 TH NOV 2016 (Daily News India) Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN 1. INDIAN TEAM WINS SILVER IN WORLD ROBOT OLYM...
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 26 TH NOV 2016 (Daily News India) Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN 1. MUMBAI RANKED AMONG WORLD’S TOP TRENDING TO...
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ –25 NOVEMBER 1. Who will be the Chief Guest at the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas? a) Antonio Costa b) Mich...
Last 6-Months Objective current Affairs. Very useful for all candidates who are preparing for Government or Bank Jobs in India. To Acces...
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ –26 NOVEMBER 1. India in recent past signed an agreement with which international agency to accept digital...
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 23 RD NOV 2016 (Daily News India) Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN 1. PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER TO BE THE CHIEF ...
6-MONTH CURRENT AFFAIRS ONE LINER SPECIALLY PREPARED BY TEAM OF DAILYGK.IN AND AAA BRIGHT ACADEMY.THIS IS VERY USE FULL FOR IBPS-PO MAIN...
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 28 TH NOV 2016 (Daily News India) Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN 1. INDIA HOST THE GOLDEN JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS ...
- My name is Pankaj. By Profession working as a software engineer and by choice working as a Professional blogger from last 4 years. I am the Founder & Administrator of many websites. One of My popular websites is: www.Govtjobsportal.in. Me and My Team Devotee most of our time in updating and maintaining our blogs.Check me out on one of the following social Media Platform:On Facebook: PANKAJ RATTAN ;On PINTEREST : PANKAJ RATTANOn Linkedin: PANKAJ RATTANOn Twitter: PANKAJ RATTAN