DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 8th OCT 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. FORMER PORTUGAL PM, ANTONIO GUTERRES SET TO BECOME NEXT UNSC
i. Former Prime Minister of Portugal Antonio Guterres is going to become the next Secretary-General of the United Nations.
ii. The United Nations Security Council is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security as well as accepting new members to the United Nations and approving any changes to its United Nations Charter.
2. ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA COLLABORATES WITH FACEBOOK TO REGISTER YOUNG VOTERS
i. Social networking site Facebook is collaborating with the Election Commission of India in five states, which are going to polls next year.
CHIEF ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA: NASIM ZAIDI
3. 2016 NOBEL PEACE PRIZE AWARDED TO COLOMBIAN PRESIDENT JUAN MANUEL SANTOS
i. The 2016 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
ii.He was selected for his resolute efforts to bring the more than 50-year-long civil war of Colombia to an end.
4. INDIA TO HOST ASIAN MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE ON DISASTER RISK REDUCTION
i. India will host the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction from 3 November to 5 November 2016.
ii.Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the conference in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction .
iii.The Conference will focus on partnership with governments and stakeholders to imbibe the practices in the region’s development narrative.
5. PAWAN CHAMLING HONOURED WITH SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT LEADERSHIP AWARD
i. Pawan Chamling the CM of Sikkim was conferred the prestigious 2016 Sustainable Development Leadership Award.
ii.The award was presented to Chamling in recognition of his vision and leadership in environment and sustainable development leading to the establishment of Sikkim as the first and only organic state in the country.
iv. Sikkim is also known as the Land of flowers
6. SHOOTER JITU RAI BAGS SILVER AT WORLD CUP IN ITALY
i. Indian shooter Jitu Rai clinched a silver medal in the 50 meter pistol event of the ISSF World Cup Final at Bologna Italy.
ii In 2016 Rio Olympics he finished at the eighth position in the men’s 10 meter pistol final.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. WHICH COUNTRY IS HOSTING THE ISSF WORLD CUP?
2. INDIAN SHOOTER “JITU RAI” HAS CLINCHED WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING MEDALS IN THE ISSF WORLD CUP?
3. WHO IS HONORED WITH 2016 SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT LEADERSHIP AWARD?
a. Narendra Modi
b. Sushma Swaraj
c. Nitish Kumar
d. Pawan Chambling
4. INDIA WILL HOST ASIAN MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE ON WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CONSEQUENCES?
a. Disaster Risk Reduction
b. International Disarmament
c. Population Control
d. All of the above
5. ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA IS COLLABORATED WITH WHICH SOCIAL NETWORK WEBSITE?