DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 20 JULY 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. COMMERCE MINISTRY STARTED E-MARKETPLACE FOR GOODS PROCUREMENT
i. The Commerce Ministry has launched an e-marketplace for online purchase of goods and services by various central government ministries and departments.
ii. It is aimed to bring more transparency and streamlining the government procurement of goods and services.
2. DELHI CM LAUNCHES LIVE INTERACTIVE PROGRAMME TALKTOAK
i. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has launched a live interactive programme, titled 'TalkToAK'.
ii. The programme is aimed at directly engaging with the Delhiites, where people from across the country can ask him questions over the phone, by sending text messages and through social media.
3. MALCOLM TURNBULL SWORN IN AS AUSTRALIA’S PM FOR ANOTHER TERM
i. Malcolm Turnbull was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Australia for another term.
ii. It was the first double dissolution election since the 1987 election.
iii. Malcolm Bligh Turnbull is the 29th and current Prime Minister of Australia.
4. NETHERLAND AND UP SIGNS AGREEMENT FOR SETTING UP SKILL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE FOR FARMERS
i. The Netherlands and Uttar Pradesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding to set up a skill development centre to help farmers.
ii. The MoU would ensure that farmers get information on food processing.
iii. They can also use modern techniques to boost production of sugarcane, dairy development, potatoand flowers.
iv. The Netherlands would also help in land reclamation of 1500 acres in the Ganga basin in Kanpur and development of cultural heritage.
5. SC ACCEPTS LODHA PANEL RECOMMENDATIONS ON STRUCTURAL REFORMS IN BCCI
i. The Supreme Court accepted major recommendations of the Lodha Committee on reforms in BCCI.
ii. It imposed bar on ministers and civil servants and those above 70 years of age from becoming its members.
iii. It accepted the panel's recommendation that there should be a player's association in the BCCI.
iv. The bench also accepted the recommendation that one person should hold one post in cricket administration to avoid any conflict of interest.
6. WORLD BANK GROUP APPOINTS PAUL ROMER AS CHIEF ECONOMIST
i. World Bank Group has appointed Paul Romer as World Bank Chief Economist.
ii. He is a widely respected economist and a successful entrepreneur.
iii. As Chief Economist he will support the President and the senior management in leading the institution and inspiring the development profession during this time of transformative change.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA?
d. None of these
2. WHO IS THE 29TH PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA?
a. Genela Markell
b. Margrate Chan
c. Malcolm Turnbull
d. Malcolm Booth
3. FOR SETTING UP SKILL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE FOR FARMERS, UTTAR PRADESH SIGNED AGREEMENT WITH WHICH COUNTRY?
b. South Africa
4. WHAT IS THE CURRENCY OF NETHERLANDS?
5. RECENTLY, WHO IS APPOINTED AS CHIEF ECONOMIST OF WORLD BANK?
a. Albert Joshep
b. Paul Romer
c. Clarence Petre
d. Terrance Paul
1. D 2. C 3. D 4. A 5. B