DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 16 SEP 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1. ‘BHATTACHARYA AND KOCHHAR AMONG MOST POWERFUL WOMEN OUTSIDE US’
i. India’s top women bankers, SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya, ICICI head Chanda Kochhar and Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma, are among the 50 most powerful women based outside the US.
ii. The list is announced by Fortune magazine.
iii. SBI chairman is ranked second on the list, Kochhar at the fifth spot and shikha Sharma in the 19th position in Fortune’s ‘50 Most Powerful Women International’ list.
2. 3RD BRICS URBANISATION FORUM MEET STARTED IN VISHAKHAPATNAM TODAY
i. In Andhra Pradesh, the 3rd BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet begins in the Visakhapatnam today.
ii. The meet will be inaugurated by Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of Union Minister of Urban Development, M. Venkaiah Naidu and other dignitaries.
3.105 YR OLD KUNWAR BAI MADE 'SWACHH BHARAT ABHIYAN' MASCOT
i. 105 year old Kunwar Bai who was felicitated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for building toilet by selling off her goats, has been chosen as the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ mascot.
ii. Prime Minister Modi will felicitate Kunwar Bai at a function in the national capital to mark `Swachhta Diwas'.
4. DEVENDRA JHAJHARIA WINS SECOND GOLD, BREAKS WORLD RECORD AT RIO PARALYMPICS 2016
i. Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia became the first Indian to clinch two gold medals at the Paralympics after he broke his own world record to clinch the top honours at the Rio Games.
ii. The 36-year-old is currently ranked third in the world.
5. ALEKSANDER CEFERIN NAMED NEW UEFA PRESIDENT
i. Union of European Football Associations elected Aleksander Ceferin as new president of UEFA.
ii. He will succeed Michel Platini as President.
6. ANDHRA PRADESH BECOMES SECOND STATE TO ACHIEVE 100% ELECTRIFICATION
i. Andhra Pradesh has become the second state in the country after Gujarat to achieve 100% electrification of households.
ii. JM Financials published the report based on a national -level survey on electrification in various states.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. NAME THE CEO OF AXIS BANK?
a. Chanda Kochar
b. Chanda Sharma
c. Sikha Sharma
d. Sikha Kochar
2. THE 3RD BRICS URBANIZATION FORUM MEET HAS HELD AT WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING PLACES?
3. THE FIRST INDIAN “DEVENDRA JHAJHARIA” WHO HAS BAGGED TWO GOLD MEDALS AT RIO 2016 PARALYMPICS IS ASSOCIATED WITH WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SPORTS?
a. Discuss Throw
b. Javelin Throw
d. None of the above
4. “ALEKSANDER CEFERIN” IS ELECTED AS THE NEW PRESIDENT OF WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS?
5. WHERE ARE THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE UEFA LOCATED?
a. Geneva, Switzerland
b. Nyon, Switzerland
c. Basel, Switzerland
d. Paris, France
1. C 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. B