DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 24 SEP 2016
(Daily News India)
Shared By: WWW.DailyGk.IN
1.INDIA AND FRANCE INKED DEAL FOR 36 RAFALE FIGHTER JETS
i. India and France inked the 7.8-billion Euro deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets.
ii.The aircraft will be equipped with latest missiles and weapon system like Meteor and Scalp.
iii.The 7.8 billion Euro deal is crucial for the Indian Air Force and is expected to give India the dominant status in the air
iv.The Rafale jet has a strategic weapon has Beyond Visual Range Meteor air-to-air missile with a range in excess of 150 kilometre.
2. JUNAID AHMAD APPOINTED AS WORLD BANK COUNTRY DIRECTOR FOR INDIA
i.Junaid Ahmad has been appointed as the World Bank Country Director for India.
ii. He will replace succeed Onno Ruhl.
3. DEMOCRATS AND DISSENTERS AUTHORED BY RAMACHANDRA GUHA RELEASED
I. Book titled Democrats and Dissenters authored by Ramachandra Guha was released .
Ii.The book is a work of rigorous scholarship on topics of compelling contemporary interest, written with elegance and wit.
iii.Democrats and Dissenters covers a wide range of themes such as national projects of India’s neighbours to political debates within India itself, from the responsibilities of writers to the complex relationship between democracy and violence.
4. INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PEACE OBSERVED ON 21ST SEP
i. International Day of Peace was observed across the world on 21st September
ii.The theme for the day is The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace.
iii.The day is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence, such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone for humanitarian aid access.
5. MUKESH AMBANI TOPS FORBES' 100 RICHEST INDIANS LIST
i. Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has topped the Forbes' '100 Richest Indians' list.
ii. India's richest pharmaceutical magnate Dilip Shanghvi remains at 2nd.
6. RITU RANI RETIRES FROM INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY
i. Former Indian women's hockey captain Ritu Rani has announced her retirement from international hockey.
ii. The 24-year-old midfielder made the announcement in a mail to Hockey India president Narinder Batra.
7. HDFC BANK NAMED INDIA’S MOST VALUABLE BRAND
i. HDFC Bank has emerged as India’s most valuable brand for the third consecutive year, ranking first on the BrandZ Top 50 list released by WPP Group.
iii. HDFC Bank was followed by Airtel and SBI in the list.
8. OXFORD TOPS THE LIST AS THE WORLD'S LEADING UNIVERSITY
i.Oxford topped the list as the world's leading university, followed by the California Institute of Technology, Stanford and Cambridge.
ii. The United States had 63 institutions in the top 200, while the UK had 32 and Australia had eight.
iii. Asian universities, with more rising up the list in 2016, the region's top institution National University of Singapore was ranked 24th.
9. PRESIDENT, PM LAUNCH VP'S BOOK TITLED "CITIZEN AND SOCIETY"
i. President Pranab Mukherjee has released Vice President Hamid Ansari’s book ‘Citizen and Society’ at the Rashtrapati Bhawan in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
ii. The book is a collection of lectures delivered by Hamid Ansari ranging from the role of women in a multicultural society to other dynamics of a democratic nation.
10. SAHOO IS BANKRUPTCY BOARD CHIEF
i. The Centre has appointed Madhusudan Sahoo as chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India.
ii. Sahoo is at present a member of the Competition Commission of India.
11. TWO-INDIANS SELECTED FOR WILDLIFE AWARDS
i. Two Indian forest officials, Sanjay Dutta and Ritesh Sarothiya, have been selected for the 2016 Clark R. Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Awards.
ii. Clark R. Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Awards honours individuals engaging in exemplary law enforcement actions to protect wildlife.
CURRENT AFFAIRS GK QUIZ BASED ON TODAY’S NEWS
1. “ONNU RUHL” HAS BEEN REPLACED BY “JUNAID AHMAD” FOR WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING POSTS?
a. World Bank Country Director of India
b. Microsoft India CEO
c. Brand Ambassador to USA
d. Brand Ambassador to France
2. NAME THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK “DEMOCRATS AND DISSENTERS”?
a. Ramachandra Singh
b. Ramachandra Guha
c. Rameshwar Prasad
d. Ramesh Singh
3. INTERNATIONAL DAY OFF PEACE OBSERVED ON WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING DAYS?
a. 20th September
b. 22nd September
c. 21st September
d. 24th September
4. MADHUSUDAN SAHOO , IS RECENTLY APPOINTED AS THE CHAIRPERSON OF INSOLVENCY AND BANKRUPTCY BOARD OF INDIA. AT PRESENT HE IS THE MEMBER OF WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING OFFICIAL BODIES OF INDIA?
a. RBI Deputy Governor
b. Chairman of UPSC
c. Competition Commission of India
d. None of the above
5. VICE-PRESIDENT HAMID ANSARI’S BOOK “CITIZEN AND SOCIETY” WHICH IS RECENTLY LAUNCHED AT THE RASTRAPATI BHAWAN IS DEPICTION ON?
a. Role of women in a multinational society to the other dynamic of democratic nation
b. Role of the politics in the democracy
c. History of India from ancient to modern
d. None of these
6. WPP PLC IS A MULTINATIONAL ADVERTISING AND PUBLIC RELATION COMPANY. WHERE ARE THE HEADQUARTERS OF WPP LOCATED?
a. Dublin, Ireland
b. London , United Kingdom
c. Rome , Italy
d. New York, USA
7. NAME THE ORGANIZATION WHICH HAS TOPPED THE BRANDZ TOP 50 LIST BY WPP GROUP?
8. WHO IS THE PRESIDENT OF INDIAN HOCKEY FEDERATION?
a. Narinder Batra
b. Narinder Sahani
c. Navtej Sidhu
d. Narinder Sharma
1. A 2. B 3. C 4. C 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. A